This position reports to the Manager Legal: Tribunal, Regulatory and Compliance of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful candidate will deliver a compliance, regulatory review and regulatory audit/monitoring service under the leadership of the Executive Legal.
The successful candidate must:
- Be an Admitted Attorney/Advocate with a minimum of five years' experience in the field of Commercial, Contract and or Administrative Law.
- Be able to demonstrate an knowledge of the Interpretation of Statutes, Draft and/or review Contracts, Law of Property (in particular leases), and Administrative and Constitutional Law.
- Be able to demonstrate an knowledge of the National Ports Act, its Directives and Regulations.
- Knowledge and previous experience in complaints and appeals processes and/or litigation.
- Previous experience in investigations (forensic and otherwise) would be an advantage, while experience within the Ports or Maritime Environment would be an added advantage.
- Previous experience in a Regulatory environment will also serve as a distinct advantage.
- Have excellent analytical, research, legal and report writing capabilities.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Review and assess compliance with all allocated processes related to Port participant activities and the establishment and continuation of rights granted under the National Ports Act, and the implementation of the B-BBEE prescripts.
- Conduct research and analysis into regulatory and compliance matters as required.
- Compile reports of regulatory and compliance matters.
- Assist with attending to complaints and appeals hearings
- Perform other duties related to the tribunal, regulatory and compliance functions for the Ports Regulator of South Africa.
- Function well within team.
The position will be based in Durban, and may entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant commensurate with their qualifications and experience within the regulatory environment and the Regulator’s policies.
Note: Candidates may be subject to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the Identity Document
- Certified copies of Senior certificate and other qualifications.
Contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (31) 365 7800 for any enquiries. Forward your application, clearly stating the position for which you are applying, in the e-mail subject title, to: by no later than close of business on 26 January 2018. The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.